Not so long ago, I was “tagged” by someone on Facebook to take the quiz, “25 Things about Me.” For those of you who don’t “Facebook” (yes, the noun is also a verb), being “tagged” to take a quiz means that one of your Facebook friends has taken the quiz and wants you to take it, too. Most of these quizzes are time suckers, so I usually ignore them, but this one promised to be quick and easy. And unlike many of the quizzes I’d seen on Facebook, it was neither sleezy nor cheesy.
The directions were simple: List “25 random things, facts, habits, or goals about you,” post it on your Facebook page and “tag” others to take the quiz. I’m sharing my list with you for two reasons: First of all, I’m a relatively new blogger to this site and I thought this might help readers get better acquainted with me. But the second reason is the most important. Because I decided that instead of “tagging” other people on Facebook to take this quiz, I’d “tag” the main character in the middle-grade novel I’m working on. You may think you know your characters as well as you know yourself, especially if you’ve been working on a book for awhile, but this exercise can give you additional insight into what makes them tick – why they do and say the things they do.
So, go ahead. Invite your characters to take this quiz. Keep the answers close by as you work on your book, and refer to them as needed. I hope that you’ll find this to be a useful “app” – or application, as they say in the wired world – for your character development.
And now, just for grits and shins, here’s my list of 25 things. I’d love to know yours.
1. I was born in Highland Park, Illinois, and moved to St. Louis, Missouri when I was six months old.
2. I used to ride and show horses.
3. I couldn’t live anywhere there wasn’t a Starbucks.
4. I have been married 26 years.
5. I used to play the pipe organ at church.
6. I like alternative rock.
7. I love dogs and have two rescue Shelties.
8. My youngest sister and I have the same birthday.
9. I went to college in Iowa (Cornell College)
10. I’m the author of five children’s books.
11. I used to write commercials.
12. I’ve been to Scotland and England twice — and would dearly love to go back.
13. I love dark chocolate.
14. I wet my pants during show-and-tell in first grade.
15. I was in a school bus accident in fifth grade.
16. I love to read.
17. Diet Pepsi, not Diet Coke.
18. My favorite game is Scrabble.
19. I’m a band mom.
20. I’d love to go to Iceland.
21. I love naps.
22. I hate cold weather.
23. I’ve become semi-well-known for my chocolate chip cookies and brownies.
24. I keep a dream journal.
25. I grew up in a family of three girls; I now have three boys. Wouldn’t trade ‘em for the world!